Did you know the cement grout is not suitable for indoor and outdoor areas with high foot traffic? For many years we are using cement grout for ceramic tile sealing. Because in research by Statista “3.11 billion square feet of ceramic tiles was consumed only in the United States”.
But now is the time to replace this expense with epoxy grout.
Have we dived you through the scrutiny of epoxy grout? Then let’s settle down for all the factors about epoxy grout!
So inaugurate basic factors first. What is grout assuredly, and what key elements make epoxy grout different from others?
The orthodox grout has the base of cement mix. This means these types of conventional grouts are not water-resistant but also easy to blemish stains and spots, it can be attested by someone who has applied these traditional grout.
Epoxy grout is a sticky element used to fill joints, this type of grout is made up by formulating the epoxy resins with the proportion of colored sand filler. Epoxy grout provides up-to-the-mark resistance against stains and chemical reactions.
One more important thing about epoxy grout is to contemplate that it doesn’t need sealing because it has low chances of absorption.
So, in this article, we’ll discuss how epoxy grout is different from cement grout and what’s the reason that makes epoxy grout a much better alternative.
What is Epoxy Grout?
Epoxy grout is proved to be a most well-reputed grout choice for those who don’t wish to use water and portland cement to mingle. it becomes a perfect fit for silica fillers, tough pigments, and epoxy resin.
Moreover, there are multiple reasons that make epoxy grout a much better choice than other grouting options.
Epoxy grout is made of epoxy resins combined with a filler powder. This makes it waterproof and almost completely resistant to stains. Its durability makes it the ideal choice for splashbacks, floors, and high-traffic areas.
Epoxy grout is good for all types of floor tiling but if you have a crush on mosaic tile epoxy grout is the best dose to heal your tiling wounds.
Epoxy grout is well familiar for beautifying glass mosaic tiles it also breaks down the cleaning task into a stress-free job.
Grouting epoxy into the gaps in mosaic tiles they will vibe fresh for months and years.
You must have to know the fact about epoxy grout is that it is the best choice for applying in wet areas like showers because it won’t diminish, fracture, or streak.
It also has the power to stand out solid against rasping chemicals available in cleaning products. Unlike conventional cement grout, it has a gratuity due to its non-porous mother nature it doesn’t require to be sealed.
Epoxy Grout Pros
- Epoxy grout is super resistant to chemicals.
- More reliable than other grouts considered as trouble-free nature grout.
- Specifically designed for high foot traffic areas.
- It Can be used to fix any type of tiling.
- Epoxy grout doesn’t need to be sealed.
- It can be comfortably washed with plain water.
- Epoxy grout is considered the stronger grout.
- It creates the toughest seal between tiles.
- Its non-porous nature makes it a perfect match for kitchen and bathroom tiling because they are more prone to damage by water.
- Epoxy grout is easy to wash, you can wipe all the dust and grime comfortably with the help of a damp cloth or sponge.
- Epoxy grout is all about achieving the seamless style of your tiling, it provides you with a broad spectrum of colors to choose the perfect fit, that nearly match your tiles.
To be true is the most humanitarian thing on the earth by believing this line, let’s have a look at the drawbacks of this superbly workable grout.
Epoxy Grout Cons
- It is recommended to hire a professional for applying epoxy grout as it is really complex to work with because it needs a perfect share of ingredients to mingle with. it is advisable to follow manufacturer instructions to mix the elements in the correct proportions.
- The pace of work with epoxy grout should be at a high rate as it dries quickly. To avoid wastage it is directed to mix the epoxy grout in batches. It doesn’t allow you to work lazy.
- It is more time-consuming to work with epoxy grout than traditional cement grout.
- It takes a high cost to purchase and install.
- The epoxy grout may turn yellow over some time spell if it would be exposed to U-V rays.
- Epoxy grout presents a look that seems like plastic surfacing.
- The worst problem about epoxy grout is that it may create pinholes after cleaning.
Types of Epoxy Grout
There are many other types of epoxy grouts available in the market but the best three are the following.
- SpectraLOCK Pro Full unit
- Laticrete Spectral LOCK Pro Premium
- Ceramic Tile Pro Super Grout Additive
SPECTRALOCK PRO Premium Grout†:
SPECTRALOCK PRO Premium Grout† is clear, high-geared epoxy grout. Color consistency and stability, longevity, stain defense, and beautifying nature are some key notes to SPECTRALOCK PRO Premium Grout. Having a non-sag composition this grout is comfortable to fill in the margins between tiles.
Laticrete Spectral LOCK Pro Premium:
Laticrete is well-reputed as the top finest grout in the tiling industry. It consists of epoxy, thickener, and sand.
The sand in this grout showcase multiple color and glares. It is specifically designed to create a glittery ambiance. For marbles and ceramic tiles, stone tiles, marble, or glass it is considered superb.
It would be eye music to play with Lactirete epoxy grout to do a tiling job. Laticrete Epoxy grout is more fun to work with than their forerunner as this grout outperforms.
The most exciting part is the company provides two types of additives one is called “Dazzle” and the other one is called “Glow”.
The “Dazzle” fabricates an illuminating metallic look. On the other hand, the “Glow” __that you calculated right__ able the epoxy grout to twinkle in the dark.
Ceramic Tile Pro Super Grout Additive
All about Ceramic Tile Pro Super Grout Additive key points:
- Never let the water pass onto the tiles.
- Applies fast in minutes.
- It has a lifetime of years.
- It can be combined with any type of cement-based grout.
- It is solid than caulk, and will never breach.
- It has a built-in sealer Never Seal grout again.
- It has the ability to repair all types of tile grout.
How to Apply?
The chunks of tasks of application grout are as follows:
- Religiously follow the manufacturer’s instructions to mingle the filler material and grout.
- You have to be quick to work with epoxy grout, it dries furiously. Keep tools near to access.
- It’s time to lay out the grout into the margins with the help of a trowel and a firm, sharp-edged rubber grout float.
- Held At a 90 angle (solidly straight) and a 45 angle to the layout of the grout margins push down solidly with the help of the float.
- Have a damp cloth near your hands and instantly rub off the excess grout.
- After applying make sure that the installer wipes the tile completely. Use the composition of water and vinegar to get rid of any grout haze from the tiles.
- Rub the mixture in a circular motion, and ensure the residue of epoxy grout is removed by loosening the excessive grout.
Some gases are released during the application of epoxy grout, to flow away from them with fresh air make sure to have a cross-ventilation by keeping the widows widely open.
Tip: Epoxy grout is made up of tough material that exhales strong fumes, dangerously harmful by direct contact with skin or by getting them in. To cure the problem always wear gloves and a face mask.
Areas of application
Epoxy grout is perfectly chemist with non-porous tiles such as ceramic or porcelain, these types of tiles do not let the grout absorb within the tile. The epoxy grout may penetrate the stone or other porous tile so avoid using them together.
Epoxy grout may fade away by facing long-term sun exposure and UV rays, so it is directed to use for indoor tiles instead of outdoor.
How Long will Epoxy Grout Last?
The lifetime of epoxy grout is depend upon the grout choices and the application variations, what is applied? How is applied? and what maintenance rituals are being followed?
However, some epoxy grout such as SPECTRALOCK PRO Premium Grout can last for the life.
There are some adventurous applications (e.g industrial, commercial kitchens, etc…) needed extra periodic repair services or conversions depending upon cleaning techniques applied, and surface situations such as foot traffic, and surrounding conditions.
Concludingly if you care more you will spare more.
Epoxy Grout vs Cement Grout
Cement grout is the conventional type of grout and has been used for decades, although it has not changed much, upgraded high-performance varieties are available.
POLYMER CEMENT GROUT
Cement grout is available in both sanded and unsanded types. It is formulated to match basic commercial or heavy residence spaces to shake hands with the upper standard of water retention, shrinkage, and solidity.
Now cement grout is designed with added polymers, and has the ability to do all doers done by high-performance grout with the advanced advantages of what plastic grout can offer.
Once the grout is mixed with water polymers are sharply activated. As compared to conventional grout its advanced chemical response increases its solidity and water defense.
The grouts that are not at high performance do not offer to strip resistance and chemical resistance but advanced cement grout does serve this. Cement grout does not offer color solidity.
More About Epoxy Grout
Epoxy grout is the new boom in the tiling industry. It reacts heavenly positive to many negatives you might face with old-school grout. Shrinkage, bond, sag, solidity, thermal, shock, and chemical proof are the standards Epoxy grout meets together.
The most important core elements of epoxy grout that drastically differentiate it from traditional grout are water retention resistance and chemical resistance.
Epoxy grout’s biggest strength is that it absorbs 50-times less water as compared to conventional grouts. Epoxy grout stands out solid against any environmental toughness with the features, double the solidity, and chemical resistance.
You can wash the epoxy grout with no-worry as they always return to their first color as they dry out rather than turning darker or grey-ish messy look.
Jim Whitfield, manager of Technical Services at Mapei told industry professionals, ” As compared to cement grout epoxy grout is resilient and it suited really well human circumstances.
It does not hide down dirty elements over time and becomes a tile gutter such as a cement grout can, that holds all the grime and liquids and assembled clutter”.
Epoxy grout comes in two parts when mixed together perfect chemical reaction is created to heavenly heal the tiling wounds. So epoxy grout is considered a reactive grout.
So, What Is The Main Difference Between Epoxy Grout and Cement Grout?
So now we surely know that cement grout is produced by some cementitious powder mixture while on the other hand Epoxy grout is formulated by proportioning the epoxy resins, and a filler powder.
These ingredients make epoxy grout immensely reliable, non-porous, and stain-resistant. Taking an examination of cement grout it has porous nature and is a budget-friendly pick as compared to epoxy grout.
It may present discoloration and stained look over time because due to its porous nature it can easily penetrate water.
Bonus Fact release
100% SOLIDS EPOXY
There is an advanced type of Epoxy grout is also available in the market. it is used for intense and toughest environments such as commercial kitchens, dairies, meat processing plants, etc.
In that areas, brassy harsh chemicals are used frequently during the day and sometimes left on the floor without wiping off.
Epoxy grout with required maximized performance does every job better pro as it is fast healing and is resistant to hot temperature, unlike regular Epoxy grout.